Event and Meeting Planning: Process and Resources
The Event Services staff at the KU Memorial Union are happy to help you plan your next campus event at the Burge Union. A step-by-step process can be found here.
Check room availability:
- Online at our Event Management System (for Kansas Union only; Burge Union and DeBruce Center online reservations will be coming online separately at later dates)
- Our online Event Management System has information about room availability and room descriptions.
- By phone (785-864-4651) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for Burge Union and DeBruce Center (and for the Kansas Union as you like)
- In person at the Union Administrative Office, Room 476, Kansas Union, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 [.m. weekdays
Online reservations are the preferred method. Online reservations must be submitted at least 48 hours before the event date or by end of business on the preceding Thursday if the event is to take place on a weekend.
What type of room set-up do you need? The most-used options are a conference table for a small group (25 or less), theater seating (rows of chairs), classroom seating (tables and chairs facing the front), or rounds of 8 for a dining event. Check out these and other room set-ups available here.
Tell us the actual starting and ending time of your event and whether you need access before and after the event times for set-up and clean-up.
The University’s Food Policy requires that any food/snacks sold or given away on campus be prepared by KU Dining Services (the University's licensed, health-inspected facilities). We have a complete menu of refreshments and catering available. You may not bring in snacks or food from outside vendors. The KU Catering Guide can be found here.
Food exceptions are typically granted when the type of food appropriate to the event (often when a particular culture is being celebrated) is not offered by KU Dining Services. Food exceptions must be approved by the Provost’s Office. Read the policy, complete a food exception form and return it to Whitney Fox, Catering Coordinator, email@example.com, 864- 2444. Submit your request at least 2 weeks in advance of your event. You’ll receive an email notification of its approval status.
You can view all Union Event Services policies here.
University Events Committee approval is needed for events with admissions charges; outdoor events; sales events; when an event is held in Alderson or Woodruff Auditoriums or in the Ballroom; and for all Late-Night events. University Events Committee request forms are available online. You can view more information here.
- Bring the completed UEC form to the Union Administrative Office, Room 476, if you’re using space in the Kansas or Burge Unions. Any member of our Event Services team may sign a UEC form.
- After you have the necessary signatures, turn the UEC form in to the Student Involvement & Leadership Center, 4th Floor, Kansas Union.
- The UEC meets each Wednesday during the academic year. Submissions are due by noon on the preceding Tuesday to be placed on that week’s agenda.
University faculty and staff receive receive a discounted rate on room and A/V equipment rental. Registered student groups use the Union facilities at no charge. However, groups will be assessed room and equipment rental, at the university rate, if either of the following are true:
- There is an admission charge or registration fee
- Less than 50% of the people attending the event are current KU students, faculty and staff
Room rental is reduced 50% for catered meals or formal receptions. Room discounts do not apply to refreshment orders.
You can access more information on room descriptions and rates here.
There are fees for student groups on laptop computers, theatrical lighting and/or for Union A/V technicians. Contact the Student Senate office or check their website for information about student group funding and what type of expenses might be covered. If Senate funding is involved, the Union will need to receive a Student Senate Purchase Order. The purchase order must be signed by the Senate treasurer or assistant treasurer. Your reservation will not be confirmed until the completed purchase order is submitted to the Union administrative office.
KU and Pepsi work together to offer program and product support. Details are available here.
- Finalize all outstanding invoices. We invoice after the event occurs. Be sure we have the correct contact information for the person responsible for the billing.
- Evaluate the success of your event. If you’re planning to hold it again, what would you change?
- Please complete the survey sent from the KU Memorial Unions regarding your event.